Thursday, October 21, 2010

My First Elk

So I would've never predicted that I would get an elk....ever. Jon put in me in for a draw and low and behold I drew. 2 years ago I drew and had a hard time wanting to shoot an animal. (I'm an animal lover of course.) This year Jon and I were out there finding the elk and the experience was amazing. The elk were bugling around us a lot! It was neat to hear. We even heard a wolf howl...scary! But then we saw this elk and I was nervous but I knew that it would provide us meat and that that was a good thing. So I got up the nerve to shoot (with the help of a lot of prayer) and I shot! Then I prayed so hard that it would die quickly because that is my worst fear that the animal will suffer. It died within in a minute so I was relieved. I had really mixed emotions right off about it. I was sad that I had killed something, but proud at the same time that I did it and that we have great meat now. (Jon got an elk last week but unfortunately we're not sure if it's good, it smells really bad.) I'm so grateful that Jon is talented with hunting and that it provides us with food over the year.


Photobucket




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mo, that looks really great, congrats! I am so proud of YOU :)
    It also brings back wonderful memories when I was hunting with Jon and we (I mean he) shot my first elk. Just remember it provides for your family and elk meat is my favored. Save a piece for me, OK? Love Dad

    ReplyDelete